ART TEC - Guy Marsden
Product Design My Artwork Living Sustainably
Art Engineering Levitation Kit Solar Power Chevy Volt
About Me Blog Solar Heating Thermal Windows
Contact Twitter Solar Hot Water Solar Mower

home > canoe

Building a Sassafras 14 ft. stitched lapstrake canoe
Bookmark and Share

HOME 1. laying out
the planks
2. cutting
3. gluing
4. rabbeting
5. stitching
6. shaping
7. filleting
8. gluing
9. removing
10. filling
11. gluing
12. gluing
13. glassing
14. glassing inside 15. glassing
16. decks and
seat mounts
17. installing
18. epoxy
19. sanding 20. varnishing 21. finishing up 22. launching storage BILL OF
This canoe was built from plans in the book "The Canoe Shop"


August 2, 2007
Gluing Inwhales -- 0:45 hours

Yesterday I used some wood putty to fill the inside of some of the holes left by the copper wire stitches.  Then I sanded off all the residue so the inside of the hull looks clean.
Today my friend John came by to help glue in the inwhales -- he also lent me a whole bunch of clamps.  Before he arrived I had cut the whales to length and tapered the ends so they fit fairly close at the ends.  I had both pieces dry clamped into the hull before we started.  I felt that it would help with symmetry if the other side was in place as the first side was glued in.

We took one side off and did a complete dress rehearsal of the process of clamping the inwhale in place.  We worked from one end to the other.  It was clear the the trickiest part is bending the wood up to reach the stem and that is where we paid close attention to clamping strategy.  It was helpfull to have both spring clamps and C clamps.  The spring clamps to hold roughly in place ahead of the C clamps as we progressed. 

I mixed up a 3 ounce batch of epoxy and thickened it with silica to a mayonnaise consistency.  3 ounces was a good guess and was just right to coat both the whales and inner surfaces of the hull on both sides before clamping.

The clamping process went quite well with no major snags.   While John managed the loose end of the inwhale, I worked from stem to stern clamping as I went.  At the point that I had a C clamp on the mid-point, John had dropped his end of the inwhale into the stern.  It was tough to bend up at the ends, but we came pretty close to the top of the stem at each end.  I can either sand down the planks to match the inwhales, or build up epoxy to fill in the height above the top.  We'll see how it looks without the clamps tomorrow.

I deliberately decided not to try and clamp both inwhales and outwhales in the same pass as that much glue and tension just seemed like a slippery combination.  So we'll glue the outwhales on tomorrow.

Here's a movie of the gluing process, it took only 0:30:

next >>

visits since 7/30/07
Hit Counter